If you should be concerned with any observeable symptoms after using the crisis contraceptive supplement, speak to your GP or talk with a nursing assistant at a health that is sexual
You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your next period is more than a week later
- Your duration is reduced or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any sudden or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this may be a indication of an ectopic maternity, in which a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule might connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The organic medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications used to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for instance omeprazole (an antacid) in order to make your belly less acid
EllaOne is not utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, however the dosage might need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise with this.
There must be no connection amongst the crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or prevent meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 days afterward.
Should you want to make sure that your medicines are safe to just just take utilizing the crisis contraceptive supplement, pose a question to your GP or a pharmacist. Its also wise to browse the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the emergency contraceptive tablet ahead of time?
Perhaps you are in a position to get the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having non-safe sex if:
- You will be concerned about your method that is contraceptive failing
- You may be taking place vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive unit produced from plastic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced health professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
In the event that you’ve had unsafe sex, the IUD could be placed as much as five times a while later, or as much as five times following the earliest time you might have ovulated, to avoid maternity. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity as compared to crisis tablet, plus it will not connect to virtually any medication.
You may decide to have the IUD left in as an ongoing way of contraception.
Exactly just exactly How effective could be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are many kinds of IUD. Newer ones do have more copper as they are a lot more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years are certain to korean brides get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are nevertheless effective. The IUD is more effective compared to crisis tablet at preventing maternity after non-safe sex.
Who is able to make use of the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including women that have not been expecting and people who will be HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your health background to check on if an IUD would work for your needs.
You ought not to make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or a pelvic disease
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Women that have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed when there is a danger which you might currently be expecting. The IUD can be properly used safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the threat of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Exactly what are the negative effects for the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but can consist of discomfort, disease, harm to the expulsion or womb(the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps not respond with just about any medicine.
Where may I get crisis contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive capsule while the IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
It is possible to have the crisis contraceptive capsule free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small accidents devices
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
The physician or nurse the thing is may ask when it comes to after information:
- When you yourself have had unprotected sex in your present menstrual period
- The date for the very first time of one’s final duration together with typical amount of your cycle
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for instance exactly how many pills you have missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medications that could influence your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you will get contraception through the almost all community pharmacies in Scotland, often cost-free. If you should be perhaps not entitled to NHS Scotland services, you should buy the crisis contraceptive capsule from many pharmacies. The price differs, however it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be maybe not making use of a method that is regular of, you may think about doing this to be able to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) provides the most efficient security against maternity, and also you do not have to think about this every single day or any time you have intercourse.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend which type of crisis contraception you utilize. There are two main practices:
- The crisis contraceptive supplement (after pill) – there are two types, Levonelle or ellaOne morning
- The device that is intrauterineIUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents pregnancy if:
- You have not used contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in place of your usual method of contraception.
The earlier you utilize crisis contraception after having sex that is unprotected the greater effective it really is. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive product
Levonelle can be acquired cost-free with no prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Use our nationwide provider Directory to locate pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or sexual wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You may get them from most community pharmacies and also from your own GP or sexual wellness center.
Levonelle could be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (whenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken at the earliest opportunity after having unsafe sex.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and helps it be more challenging for a fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be acquired from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is put as part of your womb. It damages both the semen and also the egg, and prevents an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having non-safe sex, or, whether it’s feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five times once you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective sort of crisis contraception.
You’ll keep consitently the IUD in as your regular approach to contraception, or a medical practioner can eliminate it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception might not be ideal for everyone else. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you are unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, confer with your GP. You might have to take another product.
Exactly How effective could it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you utilize and just how quickly it is used by you.
There are two ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after capsule – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents maternity when you yourself haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.